Our attendance policies are designed to protect our students’ education and our teachers’ investment of time. Our current students and teachers have an excellent record of attendance. We expect the same of our new students, too. We’ve put these policies together as the best policy to protect the interests of the school, our students, and our staff. You should read and sign these policies before your lessons begin.
If a student requests to reschedule a lesson, Long Island City Music School may, at its sole discretion, reschedule the student. The school and the teacher are not required to give makeup lessons, because the student has only paid for that specific time. The teacher may incur additional expenses and loss of time to travel to the school on another day, which is not fair to the teacher. If the school cannot reschedule the lesson(s) to a new time, or if the teacher cannot accommodate a new time, the student will lose the lesson(s). We will make our best effort to make a time change possible, since we understand that unavoidable changes sometimes occur.
If a teacher needs to reschedule a lesson and the student cannot accommodate the time change and another teacher cannot cover the time slot, and this results in a loss of lessons, the student will be given a credit on the unused lessons.
Rescheduling Procedure (students)
1. Student requests time change with the teacher and discusses options with the teacher. Remember, the teacher is not required to give you a make up lesson.
2. If the teacher is available, he/she will check the school calendar and confirm room availability.
3. The teacher will request the time with the school. If the time change is possible, the school will update the calendar. The teacher should not update the calendar without first speaking to the school.
4. The school will communicate the approval to the teacher, who will communicate that to the student.
Rescheduling Procedure (teachers)
1. Teacher will request to reschedule the time with the school.
2. School approves or denies potential change.
3. Teacher requests time change with the student and discusses options with the student. If the student is available, will check the school calendar and confirm room availability.
4. The teacher will request the time with the school. If the time change is possible, the school will update the calendar. The teacher should not update the calendar without first speaking to the school.
5. The school will communicate the approval to the teacher, who will communicate that to the student.
6. If the student cannot reschedule, and a substitute cannot be made available, then the student will be issued a credit on their account for the missed lesson.
Students are paying for the teacher’s time, not just for the lesson. It is important that students keep their commitments to their teachers. Your teacher will be at the school every week for your lesson, you should be too!
Because we value our teachers time, there will be no refunds or credits for students who miss lessons during the semester since your teacher has committed that time to their schedule for the entire semester and has lost the opportunity to take other work at that time.
In cases of emergency, Long Island City Music may, at its sole discretion, reschedule a student or issue a credit to a student who has missed a lesson, but will be under no obligation to do so.
If a teacher misses a lesson due to a verifiable emergency or significant professional commitment, and the lesson cannot be rescheduled, the student will be issued a credit.
We also expect that our teacher’s keep their commitments to their students. We also only schedule lessons at times where there are not likely to be conflicts with our teachers’ professional and performing activities.
Lessons are billed by the month, on the first of every month. It is important to invest a continuous amount of time to receive the maximum benefit from music lessons.
Students who pre-pay for the entire semester will receive a 5% discount.
Payment is due at the first lesson of each month. You will receive an invoice at the beginning of each month. You may also choose to enroll in automatic credit card payments for your convenience, which will be processed on the business day of each month.